Sunday, February 7, 2010

Online Learning Communities Flourish Best If Individual Learners Have Self-Governance

I found this article from Science News. The article is fairly concise and gives a brief overview of the basics of Online Learning Communities. One aspect that I found interesting is that the article is very forward in both the benefits and shortcomings of Online Learning Communities. Specifically, the article states that the individual needs "self-governance" in order to make a learning community experience worthwhile. Basically, the concept of "getting out what you put in" is completely applicable to Online Learning Communities. While at first fairly obvious, I think that this idea of "reaping what is sown" should be kept in the forefront of our mind's. As I'm sure we're all aware, it can be easy to view anything with a negative attitude. This negativity can manifest itself in our work and be a complete hindrance to learning and growth. So, as we move through our program, lets keep giving it our all and have a wonderful learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment